Did you know that in Peru, you can find more than 3800 varieties of potatoes? They vary in shape, size and flavor, but one thing remains constant – the potato is one of the most important crops in the nation, and in the world! So important in fact, that Peru celebrates National Potato Day every year on May 30th, with festivals taking place throughout the country.
In order to honor Peru’s celebrations, Inca Rail has shared their favorite potato recipe with us. Make this Peruvian Potato Puree at home or enjoy it on board Inca Rail’s first class service to Machu Picchu!
- 1 kg native potatoes
- 35 gr unsalted butter
- 60 ml heavy cream
- 20 ml fresh milk
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Green onion to taste
- Boil the potatoes on a low heat.
- Once soft, peel and then mash. Set aside when you reach desired consistency.
- In a pan melt the butter. Add the chopped garlic and fry until golden.
- Add the potatoes, heavy cream and fresh milk, stirring constantly with a spoon.
- Season to taste and add the chopped green onion.
- Serve and enjoy this delicious recipe.
Serves 4 people.