Our own Lyndsey Balog is headed to Rome this week. Call us jealous – she will shortly be enjoying the extraordinary views of ancient Rome from Hotel Fortyseven‘s rooftop restaurant Circus and feasting on incredible Mediterranean cuisine prepared by Chef Giacomo Tasca.
Since we can’t all join her in Rome, Hotel Fortyseven and Chef Giacomo are kindly sharing with us a way to enjoy at least a part of Lyndsey’s experience through this recipe for strawberry crumble. Light and sinfully delicious, it’s the perfect way to make the most of summer’s delicious berry bounty.
Hotel Fortyseven’s Strawberry Crumble
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
1 1/2 pounds strawberries, chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup oats
2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix together 1 1/2 tablespoons of the sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons flour, and the sea salt. Add the strawberries and toss to coat.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes to bring out the flavor of the strawberries
- In another bowl, mix together the oats, remaining 1/2 cup flour, and 1 tablespoons sugar. Add the melted butter bit by bit until a loose crumble forms.
- Divide the strawberry mixture evenly between two ramekins. Top with the oat mixture, dividing the topping equally between the two ramekins.
- Place the ramekins on a half sheet pan to catch any juices that bubble out of the ramekin. Bake for 30 minutes. Wait 10 minutes before serving.
– The JG Black Book Team