This may sound silly, but we absolutely love this gorgeous planet of ours (hence the reason we always write about exploring this beautiful world). In honor of Earth Day, we rounded up a few of our favorite eco-friendly travel companies to share with you. We should all appreciate eco-conscious businesses and we hope to see all companies start to shift in a more “green” direction, for the sake of future generations of travelers.
In 2009, Volcanoes Safaris established The Volcanoes Safaris Partnership Trust- a non-profit organization that connects Volcanoes’ Rwanda and Uganda luxury safari lodges to the neighboring communities and conservation activities. The VSPT receives funding through Volcanoes Safaris, which contributes $100 from every full booking as well as private donations.
The VSPT aims to create long-term, self-sustaining projects that enrich the livelihoods of local communities, promote the conservation of the great apes, restore natural habitats and work with communities and institutions to reduce human-wildlife conflict.
Volcanoes Safaris respects the culture of the local communities, the fragility of the environment, and the need to use their resources in a sustainable way.
Quasar Expeditions deeply cares for the planet and the natural treasures it holds. Since they began in 1986, they have always done their best to leave the smallest footprint possible in all the places that they visit.
Quasar Expeditions is fully aware of how important it is to apply sustainable tourism practices. Both their yachts, the M/V Evolution and M/Y Grace, have complete waste and water treatment plants and state-of- the-art water filtering systems (no plastic bottles on board).
Quasar also sells T-shirts on their website where proceeds go to protecting and conserving the Galapagos and Patagonia.
Advocating for sustainable tourism since the company was founded, Micato Safaris is dedicated to the preservation and conservation of Africa. On their website, they have listed out the 5 strategic principles that they created with several of their partners to guide them in their conservation and sustainability efforts. These include:
- Dedication & Commitment: “We are dedicated to the concept and practice of thoughtful and responsible adventure travel, and are committed to setting an example for the travel industry as a whole.”
- Clear Definition: “We have a clearly-defined strategy regarding accountability, transparency, and best travel practices.”
- Engaging with Local Communities: “We are accountable to the local communities in the regions in which we travel, and actively engage with and create programs to foster sustainable, authentic preservation of those communities.”
- Education of Travelers: “We are dedicated to educating our travelers on the best cultural and ecological practices.”
- Accountability: “We hold ourselves accountable for upholding responsible travel principles throughout our safaris.”
We applaud these companies for focusing on conservation and sustainability. Spend this Earth day appreciating all the beauty our planet holds, no matter where you are.
-The JG Black Book Team